Thursday, April 21, 2005

Maybe I'll be a teacher.

I just got off the phone with my mom; we had a long talk about jobs. I want a job that will make a difference. I cannot do a monotonous job for the rest of my life, because even one summer of it made me want to run screaming into the Schuykill.

My mom has always told me to be a teacher. As a lawyer she had to work year-round, with only a week here and there for vacation, and of course sick days. One of the ideas she loves about teaching is that you get summers off.

I had recently decided I wanted to go to law school. Many times I have made comments to my mom in response to which she's told me I'd make a great lawyer. The idea of law school, however, is very unappealing. I hate reading. I don't do the reading for any of my classes. She pointed out to me that I'd have to give up pretty much any other interest I have while in law school, but if I became a teacher I would have time to pursue other subjects that interested me, if I so desired.

I decided I would have to teach college if I were to become a teacher. Any younger kids would probably get on my nerves too much (think middle school). But then I thought back to some of my favorite teachers in high school. You have such a better opportunity to have an effect on someone as a high school teacher than a college teacher. I am torn between the two though.

In any case, maybe I will be a teacher.

No comments: