Monday, April 19, 2004

So I'm watching Pleasantville right now and I am noticing all these references. The most blatant one was when the girl ran and picked the apple that was red while the rest of the world was black, and offered it to Toby Maguire.

That's only a subreference, though.

Another is more broadly towards women, because Reese Witherspoon is the first to change things. She is the one who messes them all up. Also, there is a group of men who get together against this thing. There aren't any women in the little group.

It's kind of about womens' rights...whether or not they're right or wrong...you can see it from both sides - change is bad, people should be ashamed, the ones who are changing are bad. From the other side, the men are oppressive, etc. etc.

Another, more broad motif is the motif of accepting change - change can be viewed as bad - it is no longer pleasantville when the changes occur. However, the people who are affected by the change realize how wonderful it is.

That's my analysis. It's also cool the way they film it, and the way

I didn't notice it until now, until I saw the sign they put in the shop window that said "no coloreds" that it can also be about racial issues. I guess because womens' rights and minority rights issues started coming up around that time.

Shut up. I feel smart for noticing this stuff.

Plus the black-and-white vs. colored thing...

No comments: