Monday, April 12, 2004

I think the reason countdowns bother me so much is because I feel that people should be enjoying every day as it comes to them, not spending their life looking towards the future. If you spend too much time looking forwards or backwards you miss what's around you in the here and now. I'm not saying that people shouldn't look forward to something fun. Even I supported the spring break countdown, but in general I am opposed to countdowns.

My least favorite countdown for now is how many days of school we have left. I don't want this year to be over for a few reasons. First, I have had an awesome time so far this year, and it's basically going to end when the summer comes. I love my friends here and I am gonna miss them over the summer. To be honest...I have such a better time at college than at home. I am really dreading the summer.

How backwards. I used to await the summer with the eagerness of a child on Christmas morning. Or Channukah night.

I am not dreading everything about the summer, though. I can't wait to go to Newport. I do miss the beaches and the sun and the sand and the red lifeguard stands and the Black Pearl with its delicious clam chowder and the boat tours we take, even though we could give them ourselves. I miss Thames and people watching, which never gets old. I miss Ben and Jerry's, and the cute guys who work in Ben and Jerry's, and the Rocky Beach in all its splendor.

As long as I get to go to Newport, I guess summer won't be that bad after all. Maybe I'll even make some money...perhaps enough to buy myself an Ipod or a digital camera. And a few of my friends from here will be around, so I can hopefully hang out with them. Plus, I'm not positive that by the time August rolls around I'll be dying to come back and do schoolwork, although I don't do much of it as it is.

I guess I'll just ignore the countdowns as much as possible, and until the summer comes I will soak up every moment of college that I can. And when summer is here, I will just have to soak up every moment of sun that I can.

No comments: