Thanks to Tom, for he pointed out that I have yet to give the detailed version of how Cabaret went. As expected, it's been almost a week since the event, thus the explanation will be shorter (due to the fact that I have the memory of a fish). {Warning: I really know how to draw out a story.} I hope blogger lets me post this all in one entry.
Let's see...
Let's start with the afternoon. Rachel came back to my house and we practiced our pieces. Kudos to my mom for having the most brilliant idea of doing the lounge version of Deb's Eyes Are Brown first. Rewind...first we went to Superfresh and bought an economy sized thing of small bags of chips, and some honey mustard pretzels for our own enjoyment. Fast forward. After we finished our songs we ate a little, and then decided to take a half hour nap. Rachel laid down on the couch in the TV room, and I went up to my room and set my alarm so we could wake up on time. I was just getting comfy in my bed when the phone rang. Since the answering machine picks up on the third ring, I had to bolt out of my bed and into the study to answer it. It was Meg; she needed to know what time we had to be there. After I got off the phone with her, I went back to my room and, just as I was dozing off, the phone rang again. This time it was Meghan. She wanted to talk to Rachel, but I told her Rachel was asleep. Basically she had told people she'd buy them food since they weren't leaving school, but her mom wouldn't take her, so she wanted to know if Rachel would drive her. I told her I'd call her back when Rachel was awake. By the time I got off the phone with her, there were only ten minutes of the alotted nap time left. Poo. I just rested until my alarm went off, and then went back downstairs.
5 o'clock: time to prepare. Rachel and I were both in better moods (we'd been in weird moods before nap time), and we got dressed & did makeup. Of course Meghan came when I was about to take my hair out of the french braids to see if it looked acceptable, so I ended up having to take them out and hairspray them in the car, with only the rearview mirror to aide me (since I was sitting in the back). We got to Wawa and had to wait, and wait. And wait. Because there was only one person there making hoagies.
Finally we got to school. Enter the saddest part of the night. Rachel parked in the senior lot. I got out of the car, took my guitar out, leaned it against the back door, and went to the trunk to get my stuff out. I hear a bang. I look. It's my guitar. It's been knocked over. Shit shit shit. Yeah. Rachel had knocked it over. "Make sure it's ok! Make sure it's ok!" I said frantically. She checked. Said it was ok. Phew. Or so I thought....
We get inside. I'm trying to eat my hoagie, which they put tomatos on, even though I didn't order tomatos. Because I hate tomatos. But have no fear: I took the tomatos off. I am a genius. I'd eaten about half of the hoagie when they told us we had to go somewhere else. I go, and find out that we had to go to pay, but of course my money is all the way over in some other part of the building. Go get it, go back, pay, try to eat my dinner, am informed that now Laureli is practicing the auditorium, and Rachel wanted to do a soundcheck for the songs we were performing. Went into the auditorium, practiced. Sam wasn't there, and there wasn't enough time, so we didn't do the soundcheck. I also never did get to finish my dinner.
Forward: It's begun. We watched the Hilltones sing, then watched Meghan and Tom. Then went to the bathroom. I was kind of nervous when chambers went on. Of course I messed up. Whatever. Then it was time for me to beat box. I don't know why, but I got sort of confused and missed my cue, so Tom helped me out. It was pretty exciting, because everyone was applauding a lot when Mr. Whoer thanked me.
Between songs during the first half, I'd been trying to tune my guitar to drop D, and it wasn't working. I was really confused by it, but wondered if maybe I was just doing something wrong. During the intermission, I tried again and finally realized what was wrong (even though I've tuned my guitar to drop D at least a hundred times and know what I'm doing). The fucking (what is it..fretboard? That's what I'm calling it [Tom has informed me that it's called the "nut"])
Laureli was on right after the intermission. Yeah, I really felt like singing, let me just tell you. But I sucked it up, and we were fine. A few acts later, Hilltones were on, and I strategically placed myself in an aisle seat so when they called me up to be their guest beat boxer I'd be ready. It was so exciting when Tom called me up and everyone applauded like craaaazy. :D Too bad my mom said it was hard to hear me, since Scott needed the mic and I didn't want to get too close or I'd have been spitting on him. Mr. Woehr (yes, his name is spelled two different ways, because one of them must be right..) told me to take a bow when I was done, and the crowd went wild. Heh. Then I had to bolt backstage and set up - Rachel and I were next. I only heard parts and pieces of By The Way (I'll have to make the boys do a special performance just for me) as we were getting ready. The curtains opened and we were on. We started our little skit, and it went great. Deb's Eyes... went great all together. The crowd laughed and everything! The Dashboard song was not as good, because I messed up a couple times, and it was hard to try to sing into the mic while watching what I was doing on the guitar. Ahhh well. Everyone seemed to like it anyway.
Blah blah blah, more people, my friends, they were all really good, it's over. Sam said he'd drive me home, so my mom left. I saw Madeline in the recital hall, so I went in and these three freshman boys were in there: Tom (Jess's little bro...aww, I miss her..), Jamie, and I think the third one's name was Paul. Mads and Heather left, and when I went into the music room the boys came with me. It was like I had a following! It was awesome! I talked to them for a little bit, helped with the very last of the cleaning up, and to home I went (after Sam drove Tom, who had to sit on my lap since there was no room, to his car). I love my friends. ::Sigh::
What's gonna go wrong now?
I have a headache, and that should be enough. It was a lot better when I woke up, but it's gotten slightly worse, although still fifty times better than it was.
No comments:
Post a Comment